Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On Atlas Shrugged

A fine rant from John Scalzi, whose writing for the Chicago Maroon was notably good back in my graduate student (and his undergraduate) days.

I like this bit:
So that’s how it susses out for me. As a pulpy, fun read about an unrealistic world that could never happen, I give Atlas Shrugged a thumbs up. As a foundational document for a philosophy for living in reality with other actual live human beings, I rank it below Jonathan Livingston Seagull and The Secret, both of which also have the added value of being shorter.
Really, though, Jonathan Livingston Seagull is much, much better than The Secret.

And as to the jerks and thugs from high school (or, in my case, mostly junior high) who feature in Scalzi's rant, living well is a much more satisfying revenge than being a Randian.

No comments: