Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I bought this in the Borders at the Detroit Airport on my way to Sweden. I am not usually a reader of mysteries - my genre fiction tastes concentrate on science fiction - but it is by a Swedish author and set in Sweden and I sometimes am in the mood for reading that is not too intellectually taxing when I am on the road. Plus someone at the meeting I was at in DC early in the day had recommended it.

The book has gotten a lot of hype, and a movie on top of it, but I share the implicit view of the NYT reviewer that it is not clear just why. Learning that the original Swedish title was "men who hate women" clarifies a lot. This is very much a "men bad, women good" sort of book. The author also is not shy or subtle about sharing his feelings about business people (or, indeed, about business journalists). This is good (mostly) but not great genre fiction.

No comments: