Monday, October 17, 2011

Movie: Mozart's Sister

This is a quiet, beautiful movie. I could have watched with enjoyment even if there had been no subtitles, just to see the gorgeous scenes at Versailles, the amazing costumes and the delicious music. It is a bit slow in its pace which did not bother me but did bother my wonderful wife.

The NYT review is largely descriptive and so not very helpful. In contrast, the NPR review by Bob Mondello does a better job of capturing the spirit of the movie.

Recommended.

Addendum: the movie gave me a chance to remember my first trip to Europe, which included a visit to Versailles. It was one of those high school student tours, with about 40 kids from various local high schools along with some teachers and parents who got to take the trip for "free" in return for supervising all of us. The day of the trip to Versailles we had three choices regarding what we wanted to do. I don't recall the third choice, but the second was shopping. A very large group went shopping. I went to Versailles with two of the adults. It was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

No comments: