Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dell shows how not to sell computers

8:20:21 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Initial Question/Comment: econjeff@umich.edu
8:21:21 PM System System
Thanks for choosing chat for your Dell Purchase needs. A chat agent will be with you shortly.
8:21:41 PM System System
You are being transferred to another Agent. Please stand by...
8:21:46 PM System System
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
8:21:47 PM System System
Connected with E&A_Mary_Ann
8:21:51 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
Welcome to Dell Consumer Solutions Sales Chat! I hope you are doing well and thank you for waiting. My name is Mary Ann and I will be your Sales Agent today. Feel free to provide your phone number so that I can contact you if we get disconnected. How can I help you today?
8:22:52 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I have two questions. First, I am a professor at the University of Michigan. When I was on the Dell site a couple of months ago shopping I found a way to get a higher education discount. Despite 45 minutes of looking tonight I have not been able to replicate that experience. Did the site change or am I just not looking in the right place?
8:23:37 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
yes we can have an employee discount applied to your purchase
8:23:47 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
How do I do that with an online order?
8:23:52 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
if i may ask, what are you trying or interested to purchase?
8:24:08 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I want to purchase an Optiplex 960.
8:24:48 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Also, just to be clear, this is a purchase for use at home and not with university funds.
8:25:07 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
yes i understand, i see that you are interested to purchase a system, i would suggest that you contact our system sales dept. as they can assist you with your concern, they could also customize a system that would fit your needs and budget.you may reach them at 1-800-897-3355
8:25:44 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
OK ... I am extra confused now. Is this not possible to do online?
8:26:02 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
yes, i can transfer you to one if you like
8:26:11 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
okay
8:26:43 PM Agent E&A_Mary_Ann
please do stayonline while i transfer you to one
8:27:28 PM System System
You are being transferred to another Agent. Please stand by...
8:27:28 PM System System
E&A_Mary_Ann has left this session!
8:27:38 PM System System
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
8:27:38 PM System System
Connected with BE_Rep_Sudave
8:28:08 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
Welcome to Dell's XPS Sales Chat! I hope you are doing well and thank you for waiting. My name is Alex and I will be your personal sales agent today. Feel free to email me at us_dhs_chat_reply@dell.com or leave me a message at 1800-379-3355 ext. 2160085, from 8AM CST – 12 CST. Please provide your e-mail address and phone number where I can contact you in case we get disconnected. How may I help you with your purchase today?
8:28:57 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
hi Mary ann!
8:29:01 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
your dad
8:29:14 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I am a professor at the U of Michigan interested in ordering a system for use at home to be paid for with my own funds. My understanding is that I am eligible for a higher education discount but I could not figure out how to get it online.
8:29:18 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
i'm sorry for that
8:29:21 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Oh, and I am Jeff - Mary Ann is gone.
8:29:44 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
oh, Hi jeff!
8:30:54 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
have you heard of our Dell preferred account?
8:31:16 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Nope.
8:31:40 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
When I was poking around on the dell.com site a couple of months ago I found a way to do it but could not replicate it this evening.
8:31:54 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
Just to make sure you are aware of all your options, the Dell Preferred Account is a revolving account which allows you to pay for your purchase all at once or gives you the flexibility to make monthly payments. With this account there are no prepayment penalties and you may qualify for promotions and discounts off future purchases. Also we are currently running No Interest offers on our XPS systems for qualified customers.Here is the link if you would like to see if you qualify: http://www.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/dpa_learnmorec=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup
8:31:55 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I am guessing that the site changed in the interim.
8:32:33 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Let's figure out how to get the discount first.
8:33:20 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
well, discounts change every week. are you planning on getting a laptop or a desktop?
8:33:41 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
My understanding was that there was an ongoing discount for people employed in higher education. Is that incorrect?
8:33:46 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I am looiking for a laptop today.
8:34:11 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Sorry, desktop.
8:36:11 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
okay, is there a specific desktop you would like to purchase?
8:36:30 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I would like to replicate the computer I just got at work, which is an Optiplex 960
8:38:17 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
Okay, have you seen a dell computer to compare?
8:38:58 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
I am not sure what you mean. I would like to buy the same computer I have at work, which I am now familiar with having used it for several weeks.
8:41:23 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
Jeff that is only available in the business department. Is it okay if I transfer you to them?
8:43:17 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
To be honest, I have kind of had it for the night. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, maybe I will look at other brands. 90 minutes ago I when I started I was ready to buy, now I am completely frustrated and unimpressed.
8:44:09 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
I understand that you were passed on from one department to the other.
8:44:36 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
Its just that their are particular models available for each department.
8:45:58 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
First I spend 45 minutes on the website not finding what I wanted, then I got on chat, got someone who did not really respond to my questions then I got transfered to you and had to repeat all the same information (and deal with responses that seemed unrelated to my questions) and now you want to transfer me again. After all that, I am no closer than when I started, as I still do not even know how to find the higher education discount on the web page, which is my primary question.
8:46:04 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
I promise you that the business department would be more than happy to accommodate you.
8:46:59 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
does your dad need wireless connectiion?
8:47:15 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Given that my dad died several years ago, I am guessing probably not.
8:47:19 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
I am so sorry for that
8:48:04 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
I know that its very frustrating.
8:48:19 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
It shouldn't be this hard.
8:48:40 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
And you should answer people's questions before you start trying to market revolving credit to them.
8:48:51 PM Agent BE_Rep_Sudave
but if you are willing to let me transfer you, i'm sure that you would finally get to purchase the system that you want
8:49:15 PM Customer Jeffrey Smith
Sure, why not.
8:50:52 PM System System
You are being transferred to another queue. Please stand by...
8:50:52 PM System System
BE_Rep_Sudave has left this session!


It is now 9:10 PM and no one ever showed up.

Wow.