Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Onion on recreating lost youth

Both touching and funny.

It is certainly, and helpfully, true that as you age, you care less and less about what other people think. My older relatives often said that to me when I was young and I did not quite believe them at the time but now I do.

This piece also reminded me of a late evening spent drinking beer with an economist friend in one of the student bars in Madison during the Institute for Research on Poverty summer research conference. I have never felt as completely invisible in my whole life as I did that night. As far as the drunken Badger undergrads were concerned, we were just not there. I like to think that our being invisible made our amateur ethnographic observations more credible.

Hat tip: Kim Ross

No comments: