Monday, February 2, 2009

Nice things to read in the morning

A former undergraduate of mine from Western Ontario days offers some kind words here.

I don't think Mike did quite as badly in my class as he remembers!

One of the really rewarding things about being a professor is watching your students progress as they go out in the world, whether they pursue an academic career or not. I do not do as well at keeping up with all of my former students as I would like but I am always glad when they get in touch with an update. The next big milestone, which should happen in the next couple of years, will be the first of my Ph.D. students to get tenure.

I had a delightful dinner last week with three former Michigan undergraduates working in DC. My only complaint is that too many of my former students (both graduate and undergraduate)work in DC relative to the number of days I am there each year, so I don't get to see any of them as often as I would like.